Martin D. Fern
By on January 24, 2019
For over 40 years, Marty Fern’s practice has focused on representing businesses in franchise, corporate, and transactional matters and has authored numerous authoritative law books.
Based on this long career, Marty Fern is a recognized authority on contracts, franchising, and distribution law. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, start-up and mature franchise systems, and FTC and state franchise compliance matters. Marty consults with law firms and provides expert witness testimony. He serves as an arbitrator and mediator in contract and franchise law disputes. His fourteen published law books include Warren’s Forms of Agreements, an eight-volume treatise and practice guide and one of the leading American law publications, and five law books on franchise law, including a three-volume treatise entitled, Franchising Law.
Marty represents franchisors and other businesses in connection with negotiations and drafting of commercial agreements; drafting franchise, distribution, and license agreements; preparation and filing of disclosure documents and ongoing registration obligations; and offering general business law counsel and advice.
In all matters, Marty strives to tailor legal solutions with the brand’s business goals in mind.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
- City University of New York (CUNY), B.A.
- ABA Advisor, National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws Drafting Committee of Uniform Franchise and Business Opportunity Act, 1985-1986
- Chair, ABA Subcommittee on Franchising, 1979-1986
- California Franchise Legislation Committee, 1982-1988, 2001-2005
- Legal and Legislative Affairs Committee, International Franchise Association, 1981-1991
- Founding Member, American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Warren’s Forms of Agreements (an eight-volume treatise and practice guide on business contract law), LexisNexis, 1985-2008
- Fern’s Forms, LexisNexis, 1986-2008
- Franchising Law – Practice and Forms (a three-volume treatise and practice guide on franchise law, Specialty Law Publishers, 1997-2008; CCH (electronic versions), 1999-2008
- Intellectual Property, Specialty Technical Publishers, 2007
- Establishing and Operating Under a Franchise Relationship, Matthew Bender & Co., 1984-2003
- Current Legal Forms, Vol. 3a, Franchising, LexisNexis, 2001-2008